Monday, November 30, 2009

I'm thankful for my senior dogs


Meet my Thansgiving emergency fosters Hero (L) and Piglet (R). I kept them (or should I say they kept me) from Wed-Saturday. Oh my gawd I forgot how awful puppies are. Not in a devious way, but the energy, the nipping, the humping, the pee, the poop! My thighs look like that of a battered woman. Every time they went outside to pee/poop, they would attach their humping little bodies to me shins. I could walk with them attached to me humping away. So annoying!

Hero was a houdini. No barrier I constructed could contain him other than a crate. He literally could climb his way out of anything. It made for tricky child rearing and cooking for the holidays.

Night #1 they stayed in my laundry room in an ex pen. Thanks to the dewormer it took me 1+ hour to clean my sh!t covered floor and poop splashed walls. Nasty. And of course they were so happy to see me in the morning they had a dance in it.

Mack and Bell did well given we let them interact only thru baby gates. No sense it having puppies eaten alive by Miss cranky pants and or broken by the bull in a china shop. Bell and Becks were also mad that mommy was trapped in the kitchen with the puppies because the second I was out of sight, Hero was making his escape. Oy.

By the end I had them on the road to potty training and doing well in a crate- no pee or poop accidents in the crate even at night! I was a little misty when I had to drop them off at the vet, but all in all I really don't understand how/why someone would want the daunting task of puppy rearing while having a small child. It's too much work, for real. Times 2 over a holiday weekend= I plum lost my mind. Trust me, I'm glad they were alive, but it would have been worth my paying to board them at the vet! I'm still worn out and feel like my entire house is sprinkled with poop particles.

Lesson learned- if you have small kids and you want a dog, skip the puppies and rescue a senior. Trust me.

2 comments:

  1. I have adopted one true puppy and she will probably be the only one. The only reason it worked is because I worked in a dog friendly place where I could bring her everyday and keep my eyes on her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I read about your beautiful dog who was drooling out of one side of her mouth. What did the vet say? My little dog is doing the same thing...no pain just a lot of drooling. Please let me know! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete